Safety Case Development and Review
Aviation Safety & Security
This course is designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills to develop and evaluate safety cases for safety projects. You will be able to critically assess safety case arguments, explain the regulatory context for a safety case development as well as relate the development and maintenance of safety case to a project lifecycle. This course is offered as an elective module under the Diploma in Aviation Safety Management.
^Fees are being reviewed and subject to change. Participants will be notified of the actual course fees when they are issued the Letter of Acceptance.
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the emerging concepts in safety cases
- Comprehend the role, purpose and typical content of a safety case
- Devise and present clear safety arguments using both text and graphical notations
- Understand the risks, strengths and weaknesses of safety cases
- Recognise and distinguish common forms of safety argument
- Understand how to review and evaluate a safety case
- Understand how to undertake safety case maintenance throughout a project’s lifecycle
Who Should Attend
This course is beneficial to personnel from civil aviation authorities or industry responsible for the implementation of safety programmes; developers and reviewers of safety cases, and project managers where the development of a safety case is significant to the project they manage.
Participants should have a basic understand of system safety terminology and lifecycle via prior learning or industrial experience.
- Case Studies
What Is Covered
- Safety Cases – Basic Concepts
- Presenting Safety Arguments
- Method Overview
- Managing Safety Case Evidence
- Typical Safety Arguments
- Phased Safety Case Development and Maintenance
- Reviewing and Evaluating Safety Cases
- Risk vs Confidence Arguments
- Conformance Arguments
- Modular Safety Cases
- Effective Safety Cases
Dr David Pumfrey is a Lecturer in Safety Critical Systems Engineering at the University of York, UK. He has taught more than 150 MSc course modules. Dr Pumfrey has presented over 200 tailored courses in System Safety Engineering and Safety Management for companies and government bodies worldwide. He has undertaken a range of safety consultancy and audit roles, and has research interests in hazard identification techniques, organisational safety and through-life safety management of complex systems.
Dr Mark Nicholson is a Senior Lecturer in the High Integrity Systems Engineering research group at the University of York, UK. Dr Nicholson was programme director for the MSc in Safety Critical Systems Engineering at York from 2004 to 2018. He has provided many CPD courses to industry including U.K. CAA, and Eurocontrol. His industrial work includes being the European editor of the ARP 4754a civil aerospace standard and developing a proportionality of safety management scheme for the U.K MoD. He is currently involved in 2 Marie-Curie European Training Networks and the European RIMA project.
- SAA Alumni – 10% discount
- Group Discount – Enjoy a group discount for three or more participants registered at the same time for the same course run from the same organisation and billing source:
- Three to six : 10%
- Seven to nine : 15%
- Ten or more : 20%