International Air Law: Application and Practice
This intermediate-level course aims to strengthen your understanding of the principles of international air law, and equip you with the competencies to apply knowledge of the international regulatory framework governing civil aviation. You will learn how to explain regulations and procedures of international air law, apply legal documents and instruments, and evaluate the impact of recent developments in air law on the aviation industry.
^Fees are being reviewed and subject to change. Participants will be notified of the actual course fees when they are issued the Letter of Acceptance.
What You Will Learn
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Apply the knowledge of the international regulatory framework governing civil aviation
- Discuss the roles of international organisations and aviation stakeholders in compliance with international air law
- Examine the liability issues for aviation stakeholders
- Evaluate recent developments in air law and their impact on the aviation industry
Who Should Attend
This course is beneficial to legal advisors, managers of legal services, corporate affairs executives and government relations representatives from civil aviation administrations, airport authorities, air navigation service providers, airlines, aerospace industry, aircraft manufacturers, insurance companies and other aviation-related organisations.
- Case studies
- Group exercises
What Is Covered
- International framework of civil aviation law
- Role of international law on aviation safety
- Role of international law on aviation security
- Environmental law and sustainability in international aviation
- Legal aspects of aircraft accident investigation
- Air carrier liability to passengers, cargo and third parties
- International air transport treaties and agreements: bilateral and open skies
- Air transport in the Asia-Pacific
- Recent international and regional legal and regulatory developments
MODE OF DELIVERY
- Live virtual classroom via Zoom 5.0 [1500 hrs – 1900 hrs (SGT/GMT+8)]
Prof Brian F. Havel is the Professor of Law and Director, Institute of Air and Space Law at McGill University Faculty of Law. He has held various academic appointments and taught law for more than 20 years. He had also written books and journal articles on international aviation law, such as Beyond Open Skies: A New Regime for International Aviation (Kluwer Law International, The Hague and Boston, 2009).
Prof Pablo Mendes de Leon is the Professor of Law and Space Law at Leiden University. He began working for Leiden University in 1985. In addition to his teaching functions, he acted as Director of the International Institute of Air and Space Law, which was formally established in 1986. In this capacity, he organised a number of worldwide conferences on topical developments in international aviation and space law. Today, he maintains membership in various organisations, and is the President of the European Air Law Association.
Ms Tan Siew Huay is the Director (Legal) of the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, and 3rd Vice-Chairperson of the ICAO Legal Committee. She was Chairperson in the Drafting Committee of the ICAO Diplomatic Conference on Air Law 2009, the Council Special Group on the Legal Aspects of Emissions Charges (CSG-IAEC) and the Review Group (RGWI) of the ICAO Special Group on Aviation War Risk Insurance (SGWI). She is also an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore.
- SAA Alumni - 10% discount
- Group Discount - Enjoy a group discount when three or more participants register for the same course run at the same time from the same organisation and billing source:
- Three to six: 10%
- Seven to nine: 15%
- Ten or more: 20%